Visitor Experience Sales Associate
POSITION: Visitor Service Sales Associate (part-time/non-benefit eligible)
SUPERVISED BY: Manager of Visitor & Volunteer Experience and Manager of Museum Retail
The New Britain Museum of American Art, the first institution in the country to be designated as a museum of strictly American art, is looking for a part-time Visitor Experience Sales Associate. Under the supervision of the Manager of Visitor & Volunteer Experience and the Manager of Museum Retail, Associates are the initial and primary point of contact with Museum guests and are responsible for ensuring positive guest experiences while maintaining the Museum’s mission and standards.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Accurately and professionally performing all Front Desk duties such as greeting & checking in visitors, answering questions about the NBMAA and the community, answering the phone, opening/closing the POS system and using the POS system to sell tickets, memberships and check in tours/class participants.
- Assist with group arrivals and departures.
- Accurately and professionally performing Shop duties such as opening/closing the POS system, using the POS system to sell/return items, work with customers and answer questions about shop merchandise and keep the shop neat and clean.
- Support retail store operations by following merchandizing plans, actively work the sales floor to identify sales opportunities and engage guests to maximize sales.
- Working at Museum events – which could include set up/break down and other tasks associated with food and beverage service.
- A thorough understanding of the Museum’s layout and general understanding of the Museum’s collection and current exhibitions.
- Knowledge of current and future educational & social programs and classes.
- To recognize & appropriately greet trustees, members, donors, volunteers and regular visitors.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Expectations:
- High school diploma or equivalent. One year relevant work experience. College degree preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills along with the ability to work with the public in a diverse, customer service oriented environment-which calls for a high degree of patience and the ability to maintain a calm exterior during periods of high volume, high stress events.
- Proven ability to work comfortably and efficiently with computers, cash registers and other electronic equipment.
- Accurate and responsible handling of cash, change, credit cards and other financial transactions at POS workstations.
- Positive and enthusiastic participation in all front end operations.
- Schedule flexibility and a part-time commitment of sixteen to twenty-four (16 – 24) hours per week, including a minimum of one (1) weekend day and occasional holidays and evenings as assigned by management.
- Regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to continuously perform such manipulative tasks as keying information into computer systems.
- Must adhere to the Covid-19 compliance, guidelines, and safe practices as outlined by the NBMAA
- Use of smartphone for timesheet entry and team communication.
- Ability to move quickly, and to sit, stand or walk for duration of shift and to bend, reach, kneel and twist and move about in tight spaces, between objects, equipment and furniture and to communicate clearly and precisely.
- Must be able to lift, push and pull up to 20 pounds, and to continuously perform such manipulative tasks as keying information into computer systems.
If you would like an opportunity to work with us, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Qualified applicants will go through an application process, interview process and must successfully complete a background check.
The NBMAA is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. The NBMAA welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.