Employment Opportunities | Security Guard/Facilities Department
Position: Security Guard/Facilities Department
Reports to: Manager of Facilities & Security
FSLA Status: Part-time, non-exempt.
Security personnel are responsible for the critical oversight of the museum’s art collection, the buildings, grounds, staff and visitors. This position requires cooperation and communication with the security supervisor to ensure proper floor coverage and safety procedures are implemented.
I. Floor Coverage
- Maintain a presence within the gallery spaces and monitor all public areas.
- Provide direction and assistance to museum visitors.
- Assist other museum departments with set-ups/break down of furniture and other logistics at museum events.
II. Building Emergency Systems and Security
- Familiarity with museum security systems, policies, procedures and actions related to security alarm activation.
- Familiarity with fire system functions, fire exits/gallery escape plans/fire extinguisher locations and use, maintenance, system and unit inspection and fire evacuation in event of alarm activation.
- Thorough knowledge of procedures and role in assisting when a visitor or staff member is injured.
- Knowledge of location and operation of gallery phones, first aid kits, defibrillator or other that may be required in an emergency.
III. Other Duties
- Inform Facilities Manager if public spaces require light bulb maintenance.
- Report any unsightly damage to walls, furniture, doors, or other areas of concern in public spaces.
- Maintain grounds, all walks and outside approaches to museum in a clean and orderly way. Salt walks and fire exits in winter as necessary.
- Clean restrooms; maintain towels, soap, and tissue, as necessary.
- Kitchens, loading dock area, outdoor terrace must be kept neat and clean at all times; trash and recycling must be emptied at the close of each day (and during the day as required.)
- Other tasks as assigned by Manager of Facilities & Security.
IV. Physical Demands:
- Physical mobility: sitting, standing, walking, lifting/carrying objects up to 30 pounds; manual dexterity to operate keyboard.
- Sensory requirement: Ability to communicate and respond in a professional manner to staff, ability to communicate and respond both in person and over the phone in a professional manner to the general public.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, high-intensity, professional work environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Work schedule varies and employee must be available to work holidays, weekends and evenings as required.
- Previous security experience preferred, but not required.
- All applicants are subject to criminal background check prior to employment.
To apply, please email [email protected].
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Documents should be sent as attachments using Microsoft Word or PDF format, and should not exceed five (5) megabytes. No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The New Britain Museum of American Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer.