Employment Opportunities with NBMAA
Executive Assistant to the Director
SUPERVISED BY: Director and CEO
The Executive Assistant to the Director serves a critical function supporting the leadership of the New Britain Museum of American Art (NBMAA). This individual must be highly detail-oriented and organized, comfortable handling multiple duties at one time, be adaptable to changing priorities, and meet challenging deadlines. This position is privy to highly confidential information, requiring extreme discretion, sensitivity, tact, and judgment. Being proactive, intuitive and a self-starter are key characteristics of the successful candidate.
The Executive Assistant to the Director (EAD) performs a variety of administrative support functions for the NBMAA Director and serves as the initial point of contact for all inquiries, including providing key communication and support to the Board of Trustees and its committees. This position enables the Director to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders, and facilitates communications, scheduling, reporting (including expenses), and other administrative tasks on behalf of the Director. As a trusted advisor and liaison to the Director, the EAD protects and leverages the Director’s time by screening, prioritizing, and redirecting issues, by strategizing and executing communications, and by managing the Director’s schedule.
The EAD will work in collaboration with the Director, staff, or independently to execute special projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
Coordination and Communication:
• Manage Director's schedule, including arranging meetings with staff, board members, and other external constituents, prospect and governance events, professional travel and conferences, and outside professional relations commitments; ensure Director is well prepared for meetings and equipped with relevant information and material.
• Strategically plan and coordinate Director’s schedule; identify issues that need to be addressed immediately as well as on a daily, short-term, and long-term basis. Assume responsibility for participant meeting notification, preparation for agenda and materials, drafting and review of notes, and other communications to determine and track follow up activities.
• Facilitate Director’s mail, phone calls, scheduling, agendas and reports, filing, and PowerPoint presentations on behalf of and in consultation with the Director.
• Maintain contact information and follow-up communication with trustees, corporate, and intuitional partners.
• Coordinate travel arrangements for Director; develop trip itineraries, make reservations,
• Maintain Director’s VIP lists and coordinate with Development department so that select
individuals are reflected in invitations and mailings, guest lists, and registrations for some donor and cultivation events.
• Manage special events including Director’s dinners and lunches, in coordination with
Development and Marketing Departments.
• Assist in the drafting and editing of correspondence issued by the Director, including those submitted by other departments for Director's signature; public remarks and talking points for Director’s speaking engagements; Board and staff presentations; and messaging for internal meetings
• Facilitate inter-departmental communications on behalf of Director. Plan, organize, and oversee information sharing All Staff meetings, weekly department head meetings, and other high-level staff events.
• Assist in preparation for Annual Meeting, including assembling data and materials from all departments, as well as PowerPoint presentations
• Research, coordinate, and execute special projects in collaboration with Director, staff, or independently, as assigned by Director
• Serve as liaison to and primary point person for the Board of Trustees and committees as designated by the Director and Board Chair
• Maintain and disseminate schedule of Board of Trustee and committee meetings
• Prepare, organize, and disseminate agendas, minutes, reports, materials, and correspondence for scheduled meetings as designated by the Director and Board Chair
• Maintain meeting archives in digital and hardcopy file
• Assist in hospitality and AV preparations for Board and committee meetings in coordination with Visitor Experience Department
• Assist Director in assembling relevant data and communications from NBMAA departments in advance of Board and committee meetings
• Managing Trustee Manual, including maintaining and updating: all Trustee contact details, profiles, committee appointments and meeting schedules, institutional history, and related documentation
• Assemble Trustee Manuals and distribute annually to new Trustees. Disseminate updated materials via email when appropriate
• Disseminate and collect completed Code of Ethics form annually
Director’s Office Management and Other Administrative Support:
• Assist with basic accounting tasks including processing reimbursements. Maintain and track invoices and credit card receipts for travel, lunch meetings, and other activities
• Maintain office efficiency, including organization and processing files, records, and correspondence, and ordering supplies
• Identify new office needs as they arise
• Perform other duties as required or directed by the Museum Director
• Education and/or experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university. Background in visual arts ideal
• 3-5 years relevant experience in executive level administration, preferably in museum environment
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational, scheduling, and management skills
• Demonstrated diplomacy, judgment, initiative, and problem-solving skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, poise, and discretion
• Detail-oriented, ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Please submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements to [email protected] All applicants are subject to criminal background check prior to employment.