ABOUT THE EXHIBITION
Nor'Easter: 50th Annual Juried Members Exhibition
The Annual Juried Members Exhibition is the New Britain Museum of American Art’s opportunity to expose contemporary visual arts to a wide audience. This prominent showcase in the Northeast region highlights the exceptional work of emerging and established artists in all media.
RECEPTION AND REWARDS
Sunday, June 28, 12:30 – 2:00 p.m.
First Prize: $1,000
Second Prize: $500
Third Prize: $250
Juror’s Award: Upgraded Membership to Friend’s Circle level
Visitors’ Choice: Upgraded Membership to Friend’s Circle level
Nancy Stuart is the dean of the Hartford Art School at the University of Hartford. Previously, she was the Executive Vice President and Provost of the Cleveland Institute of Art (2002-2011). Nancy served on the faculty of the School of Photographic Arts & Sciences at Rochester Institute of Technology (1984-2002) where she also held numerous administrative positions and she was a founding faculty member of Lansing Community College’s Photographic Technology Program (1975-1984). Nancy earned her PhD at the State University of New York at Buffalo’s Graduate School of Education. She has served on the national board of directors of the Society of Photographic Education (SPE) 2008-2015, the National Association of Schools of Art & Design (NASAD) Commission on Accreditation 2017-2019, and the board of governors of the Hill Stead Museum 2014 to present.
Submissions begin on CaFÉ
Deadline for submissions on CaFÉ
Notification on CaFÉ and nbmaa.org
Receiving of accepted works
June 11, 9:30-11 a.m., and 4-6 p.m. at NBMAA
Deadline for shipped artwork
Duration of exhibition
June 27-July 19
Reception and Awards Ceremony
June 28, 12:30-2 p.m. at NBMAA
Close of exhibition
Pick-up of displayed works
July 22, 1-5 p.m. at NBMAA
National and International artists 18 years or older with current NBMAA membership. Original works accepted in all media, executed during the past two years and never previously exhibited in this Museum.
A $10.00 entry fee will be charged for each submitted work. Check, Visa, Discover, Mastercard, or American Express will be accepted through the CaFÉ website.
NBMAA will onlyaccept submissions through CaFÉ before the submission deadline of May 8, 2020. CaFÉ is an online application and jury management system for calls for entry. Visit www.callforentry.org to apply.
You must have a currentNBMAA Membership to be eligible to submit your work. If you are not a current member, the NBMAA reserves the right to remove your work from the jurying process with the loss of entry fees as a result. For membership information, please contact Jenna Lucas at [email protected] or (860) 229-0257, ext. 231 or go to nbmaa.org and see "Join + Give" on the homepage before accessing CaFÉ.
GUIDELINES FOR ARTWORK
- Up to three works per artist may be submitted.
- A maximum of one work per artist may be selected.
- All two-dimensional work must be framed and/or ready for installation with hanging hardware, wire, or d-rings already installed on work and the entire work must not exceed 84 inches in any dimension. The work cannot exceed 75 pounds. Pieces without hanging hardware will not be included in the exhibition.
- Three-dimensional work cannot exceed 48 inches in any dimension and should be accompanied by a pedestal/or be ready for display as a freestanding or self-containing work. The work cannot exceed 150 lbs.
- NBMAA will accept installations that have been previously created. All work requiring assembly or any work with a complex installation procedure must be accompanied by a detailed set of installation instructions with reference photos from previous installations. Verbal instructions will not suffice.
- Artist must provide equipment to be used in the installation of any video or sound work.
- The Museum prohibits glitter, wet paint, sharp objects, open flames, balloons, spray (perfumes, hairsprays, etc), dangerous chemicals, weapons, pressurized containers, plants or animals (alive or dead), hazardous materials (explosive, flammable, or perishable), decaying materials (visible mold or insect infestation), or anything deemed harmful to the Museum’s collection. Anything of question should be cleared by the Collections Department by contacting Keith Gervase at (860) 229-0257 ext. 217 or [email protected] or Mike Mindera at (860) 229-0257 ext. 216 or [email protected]
Selected works must be delivered ready to hang/display. Artworks considered unsuitable for hanging/presentation will be refused. Curatorial staff reserves the right to refuse an artwork that is misrepresented through documentation or is not the piece selected by the juror.
The deadline for receipt of shipped artwork is June 22, 2020. If work is not at the NBMAA by June 22, 2020, we reserve the right to not include it in the exhibition. Any artwork being shipped must include return postage/shipping fee that must be received before the end of the exhibition (July 19, 2020). In the case of inadequate or nonexistent return postage, works will be considered abandoned property and disposed of as the NBMAA sees fit. All artwork should be packaged in a manner that will allow for the materials to be re-used for return shipping. Otherwise please include materials for return packaging. Please do not ship artwork with packing peanuts.
The Museum will not be responsible for any damage whatsoever, before, during, or after the exhibition. No works will be released without proper identification. Any work not picked up by the dates noted above will become property of the Museum and will be considered abandoned property and disposed of as the NBMAA sees fit.
We encourage the sale of artwork; however work does not have to be for sale if selected for the exhibition. The NBMAA will not deduct a commission for any sale of work in the exhibition. The Museum will not serve as a third party for sales; we will provide artist contact information to any individuals inquiring about purchases.
- For more information, please visit www.nbmaa.org.
- For questions regarding artwork guidelines only, contact Keith Gervase, Collections Manager, at (860) 229-0257, ext. 217 or [email protected] or Mike Mindera, Installation Specialist, at (860) 229-0257 ext. 216.
- For membership and other exhibition questions contact Jenna Lucas, Development Associate, at (860) 229-0257, ext. 231 or [email protected].
- For website help, please refer to www.callforentry.org and click on “help.”